When it comes to audience, the Austin American-Statesman takes center stage. Learn more about this state and national performer and how the Statesman can set the successful advertising scene.
We’re a Young Market–with More Spenders
- Our median age is only 35.4 – younger than the national average
- Half of our adult population is age 21-54 – fourth largest in the nation
- That big “age of acquisition” population segment means more spending across all retail, auto and real estate
Income – More to Spend
- Average household income in the Austin market is $72,500 — that’s $5,100 more than the U.S. average, and our median income is number one in Texas
- Five in ten Austin households have an income over $50,000 — that’s 5 percent more than the rest of the country
Homes, Homeowners and Kids
- With our $181,818 median home value, more than $13,000 over the national average, six in ten Austinites are homeowners
- We like it here in Austin — average homeowner tenure is 13 years.
- Kids drive spending, too. We index 110 for children under the age of 18 — that’s 245,300 households with kids
A Growing Retail Powerhouse
- Austin is spending $37.9 billion this year on retail merchandise — and that spending is forecast to grow by 17 percent over the next five years
- With over 158,000 businesses, the fastest wage growth rate in Texas and 23 small businesses per capita; it’s no wonder our per-household annual retail expenditures are growing
Nearly 645,000 Print Readers Every Week –and the quality audience that advertisers want.
- Austin American-Statesman print readers control almost half of all the buying power in the market — $24.9 billion
- Sunday Statesman print readers have an average household income of $78,420– that’s almost $7,000 more than the market average.
- Forty percent of Statesman readers earn $75,000 or more, and a quarter earn $100,000 or more
- Seventy-five percent of Statesman readers own their homes, compared to the market average of sixty-eight percent
More Workers and More White Collar
- Sixty-six percent of our working-age population is employed — 6 percent more than the rest of the country
- We’re the seventh-most white collar market in the country — 66 percent of our employed population works in a white collar occupation
- Our 2011 job-growth rate of 2.85 percent is number one in the nation
Education = More Savvy Consumers
- Thirty-five percent of Austin market adults 25+ have a college degree — that’s number one in Texas and number five in the U.S.
- We have thirty-nine percent more Bachelor’s degrees, twenty-four percent more Master’s, and twenty-seven percent more Doctorate degrees.
Source: Scarborough Research R2 2012, Nielsen Claritas 2012, Bureau of Label Statistics, 2012 Borrell Associates